Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tesco Aisle 29: East Meets West...And Gets Destroyed

   One thing I've already learned about the UK's supermarkets is that they somehow have more ready-made meals than the ones in the US. The prepared food aisles here are rather amazing...they tend to entice and also make me turn up my nose at the same time, for various reasons such as the huge waste of plastic, the fact that they're usually pretty unhealthy, etc . Anyway, I made the rather stupid mistake of picking up some store-made sushi at our local Tesco yesterday evening....perhaps my logic was temporarily thrown by a craving for some good fish, who knows. Whatever the case, one would think that by now I'd know better than to purchase a Western-made (STORE-MADE) claim at 'sushi'. Sushi it might have been, but in name only. The rice was quite hard and falling apart, and the 'fish' definitely tasted fishy, huge no-no. Plus one of the little rolls actually had red pepper in it. ??? Poor Yuki ate the slice of smoked salmon and flat-out refused to touch anything else, not that I blame him! 2 weeks out of Japan and I'm already missing real seafood. There's talk of a trip to London and a sushi bar whenever the man of the house actually gets a weekend off work. Until then, we'll stick to my cooking!

                                 Pretty sure a small child could've rolled better rolls than these...

No comments:

Post a Comment