Saturday, March 31, 2012

Choka Blok Ice Cream Review

   It's been a bit busy around here (moving out of one apartment, on hold in another while waiting to move into our house, etc), so apologies for the pause in blogging lately. While I've got a minute, I thought I'd throw up a review of Choka Blok ice cream.
 Now, let me preface this review by first saying that so far, we've found UK ice cream to be sadly lacking when it comes to quality and taste. One brand I tried honestly tasted like a caramel-scented CANDLE, not ice cream. Fine if you like wax, otherwise.....not so much. So, I was really hoping that Choka Blok would live up to the advertising.
Here's what they say about themselves, directly from their website:

About ChokaBlok.
ChokaBlok is a luxury range of chocolate and ice cream – crammed with sweet treats and delicious extra bits.
Our Ingredients
We always start with great quality ingredients and then get to work creating irresistibly mouth-watering goodies. Using lashings of chocolate, gooey bits, crunchy biscuit, caramel, honeycomb and more, all our products are chok-full of sweet treats in every gorgeous mouthful.



See why I had high hopes for this brand? I grabbed their 'American Dreamcake' off the shelf one afternoon since it was on sale, and we gave it a go that evening. The American Dreamcake label brags 'A rich and creamy mix of cheesecake and dark chocolate ice creams swirled with chocolate frosting, chunks of cheesecake, and chocolate brownie pieces'. Sounds really indulgent, right? Especially when these are the first few lines of ingredients: Fresh Whole Milk, Sugar, Double Cream, Skimmed Milk Concentrate, Water, Glucose Syrup, Full Fat Soft Cheese, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Pasteurised Free Range Egg, Wheat Flour, Butter, etc etc etc.
 But, what did we get, for all those calories and fat grams? A very cheap feeling ice cream, basically what tasted like vanilla ice cream mixed with cookies n cream. Sigh. If I'd wanted generic cookies n cream ice cream, I would've paid (less) for it! I won't even bother rating this ice cream, since there's no way I'm buying it again. Choka Blok, for all your claims to be classy, rich, and indulgent, you're more like a frozen hamburger patty masquerading as filet mignon. Massive fail!
 Lesson learned? The UK cannot do ice cream right. If you've got reason to believe otherwise, please let me know so I can stop paying way too much for Ben and Jerry's!
  Next few posts will likely be about Bruges and Brussels, unless I find time to write again before we go. Chocolate, beer, and....chocolate, here we come!



                             Disappointing tub of Choka Blok.

No comments:

Post a Comment