Sunday, March 11, 2012

Caramel Egg Taste-Off!

    In the spirit of commercialized Easter (after all, it's less than a month away), I caved in to the 3-for-1-pound caramel egg deal at the grocery store last week. 'Pound' being Great British pound, although it may also well refer to the amount of weight that 3 of these little buggers will add to the balance on your scale. Evil eggs.
  Anyway, seeing as I had these shiny caramel eggs staring at me from the kitchen table every time I walked by, I decided to taste one each night for three nights, and then decide which was the best. The contenders were: Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel Egg, Galaxy Chocolate Caramel Egg, and Thorntons Caramel Melts Egg ('Gorgeously gooey caramel in a milk chocolate shell').
  All things were going according to plan, until I somehow ate 1.5 eggs on the second night. Still, I figure that 2.5 eggs in 2 nights isn't awful, and I'll even justify the extra 0.5 egg by saying this: the first half an egg I ate on night two was so not worth eating that I pitched it into the garbage and just moved onto the final egg. See? Taste testing at its best! And actually, it probably would've been most fair to eat all of the eggs at once and judge them that way, but no way was I going to gorge myself on 3 eggs in one sitting (tempting as it might have been). So forgive me if I'm a bit vague on the differences between Egg 1 and Egg 3 when I compare: I'll blame it on the 24 hour time difference in tasting.
  So, on night 1, I started off with Thorntons Caramel Melts egg. Reason for starting with this one was simple: Keila got ahold of the eggs, and this was the first one she managed to unwrap.
 How was it? Delicious! Thorntons makes lots of bon bons and boxed chocolates here. While they're by no means artisan chocolates, they're also pretty darn good in comparison to your average boxed chocolates. Pretty tasty chocolate for being milk chocolate, and the caramel inside was nice and creamy. Top points to Thorntons!
 Night 2 rolled around, and Keila had attacked the Galaxy egg just before bed, ripping off half the shiny foil. So I took a big bite of that one...and immediately thought 'Ugh, cheap chocolate!' It just tasted....cheap. You know what I mean if you've ever had the cheap stuff, like those fake 'chocolate flavored' bunnies and eggs Palmer makes around Easter. Honestly, who in their right mind buys imitation chocolate??  Galaxy's stuff wasn't quite that bad...but anything that reminds me of Palmer has got to go. And, on that thought, I threw the rest of the Galaxy egg into the bin. In case you're wondering, the caramel was cheapy tasting too. Not at all creamy. Yuck.
 On to the third and final egg (had to get the cheap chocolate taste out of my mouth!). Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel Egg. I already knew what to expect with this one, having consumed numerous Cadbury caramel eggs over the years. And it didn't disappoint. Classic Cadbury taste (real Cadbury, not fake licensed-to-Hershey's-made-in-the-US Cadbury) and pretty decent caramel inside, too.
 Still, overall, I'd say that Thornton's wins this taste-off. Cadbury is good, of course, but I dislike the fact that they add vegetable fat to their chocolate. Thorntons relies on good old cocoa butter instead of cutting costs like Cadbury does. Perhaps I'm becoming something of a grocery-store-chocolate snob, but Cadbury is losing favor in my eyes by contaminating their products in such a way.
 Final consensus: if you're out and about and looking for some caramel eggs, pick up Thornton's Caramel Melts!

  

                      The contenders: Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel Egg, Galaxy Chocolate Caramel Egg, and Thorntons Caramel Melts Egg

                                         Keila examining the Galaxy Caramel egg: Shiny!

                     
                                Inside the Thorntons Caramel Melts Egg

No comments:

Post a Comment