Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Michelangelo's David and I Due Fratellini in Florence

   On our last afternoon in Florence, we had reservations at the Galeria dell'Accademia to see Michelangelo's David.
 Meaning that, after spending the morning mooning about the Piazzale Michelangelo (Click HERE if you missed the Piazzale Michelangelo post )  we had only limited time for lunch. Following the advice of a trusted friend (thanks Suzanne!), we stopped at I Due Fratellini for some sandwiches. Let me say these 2 things: if you ever want to visit sandwich heaven, then I Due Fratellin is your place and 2. I wish we would've tried them sooner than our last day in Florence! That being said, we did go back and hit them up again late that afternoon, in order to have something for dinner on the train ride back to Venice. They were just that good. And not at all expensive, either. I think the priciest sandwich we got was maybe 3 euros, and that had porcini mushrooms and special cheese. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
  After our wonderful and quick lunch (Yuki took advantage of their wine-by-the-glass, too), we headed north past the Duomo to the Galeria dell'Acccademia, most famous for being home to Michelangelo's David. If you've got a lot of time in Florence, I've heard that the Uffizi is also of course amazing, but since we were on a tight schedule (and with a baby who may/may not have more patience in museums than I do) we skipped that one.  Oh, and most importantly, if you know when you're traveling, book your tickets NOW. As in, stop reading my blog and go book them N-O-W. Advance tickets sell out quite quickly, and do you really want to spend your time in Italy waiting 3-plus hours in line for a museum? No! You want to spend it eating gelato after wandering around said museum! Here, I'll even throw in the link for the official ticket site, so you don't spend a half hour searching the web for it like I did: http://www.firenzemusei.it/  This site covers the Accademia, Uffizi, etc. You're welcome.
  We covered the entire Accademia in maybe an hour; there are of course other exhibits but the David is by far and away the highlight of the museum. I don't think I've ever seen a work of art that's been so moving. Definitely worth the ticket price if David is all you see!
  Finally, if you happen to be carting a diapered baby around with you, you'll be pleased to know that the Accademia women's bathroom (on the way out, after you've been through the whole museum) does have a diaper-changing unit. I only mention this fact because diaper-changing stations are relatively rare in Italy, at least from what we saw of Venice Florence, and Siena!
  Seeing as today is already February 28th, and I'm still intent on honoring my vow of wrapping up Italy posts by the end of this month, be on the lookout for at least one if not two more posts by tomorrow night!
 

                                          Random accordian player we came across on the way to the Galeria dell'Accademia


                               I Due Fratellini   The best sandwiches I've ever had.



                                                  Paradise on bread



                                                  Michelangelo's David. Simply breath-taking.


                                           Line at I Due Fratellini Later That Afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment