Thursday, January 10, 2013

Alberto Pica Gelateria In Rome

  Pretty much the first thing we did upon arriving in Rome and dropping our bags off was to head out in search of a gelateria. The main reason being that I'd somewhat stupidly told Keila that we would have ice cream in Rome and see lots of statues. So needless to say, all we heard about on the plane ride over was 'ice cream ice cream ice cream'. I wasn't about to disappoint the girl, and everyone who knows me knows I'm not terribly opposed to having some gelato, either.
 Luckily for us, Alberto Pica was relatively close and also open on Christmas Eve! This gelateria has been open since 1960, and Mr. Pica himself is usually present somewhere in the bar. There are quite a few awards on the walls (I think he is or was president of the gelato association, but don't quote me on that). The bar itself has a very old-fashioned feel to it, and I'm guessing it hasn't been updated since it opened. Which is a good thing, in this case!
 Besides at least 18 flavors of gelato, the bar also serves some yummy-looking pastries, coffee, etc. But definitely go for the gelato.
 While Alberto Pica's gelato isn't the best I've ever had (Perche NO! in Florence still holds the gold), it was pretty good nonetheless. Keila got a chocolate the first time that we were only allowed a few bites of, but it was quality stuff. Enough to keep her up half the night afterward. I think we also got a hazelnut chocolate that was good (Yuki said 'too sweet') and pistachio, but my favorite was the seasonal Christmas pannetone gelato. Sweet, yes, but I loved it!
 The second time we went back (yes we went twice), I got Keila a rice gelato, not knowing that Alberto Pica is famous for rice gelato. Keila didn't really take it, and once I tasted it we figured out why--there are actual semi-hard pieces of rice in the gelato. Sort of like a frozen rice pudding. I loved that one too, but I can see how little mouths wouldn't want those random hard bits. I'm told there's also a cinnamon rice gelato at Alberto Pica, but we didn't see that one so didn't get to try it.
 So when in Rome....while Alberto Pica isn't the best-ever gelateria, they're solidly good and also somewhat cheaper than their counterparts across the city....go if you can!
Oh, and one more note if you do get to drop by Alberto Pica--pay for your gelato at the register in the back first, then give your ticket to the man behind the counter. No ticket, no gelato! The gelato man behind the counter will kindly tell you this, but save yourself the trouble of finding out and just go pay first. There's no need to wait any longer than necessary for good gelato.

Bar Pica (Alberto Pica)
Via della Seggiola, 12 Rome Italy



                            Blehhh! Rice in ice cream?? Keila much preferred the chocolate. 




No comments:

Post a Comment