Sunday, May 6, 2012

Happy Year And A Half, Baby Keila!!!

 Yep, it's already been a year and a half since we were blessed with beautiful baby Keila. And how much she's changed in that time! Here are the (half) birthday girl's details for her 18 month mark.
 1. Talk, talk, talk. That's basically all Keila does at home. Get out in public and the kid pretty much turns mute, but here it's another story. She tries to imitate a lot of what I say, plus she'll toss out words like 'church', 'kitty', 'ball', 'bowl', 'more', and lots of animal sounds if you ask her. She can tell you the sounds that a cow, cat, dog, bird, duck, and shark (don't ask) makes. Keila also asks for her favorite animals by name 'Roo', 'Pooh', etc. Colors are another favorite thing to talk about--especially blue, purple, and sometimes green.
Randomly I won't be able to understand the word she's saying, and she'll just patiently repeat it until dense Mommy figures it out. Today, for example, she wanted some ice cream but didn't know how to ask it for...so she kept yelling 'Mooore' since she does know how to ask for more food. Took me about 3 minutes to get that one, poor kid. And yes, she did then get a couple of spoonfuls.
 2. Can't see any more of her teeth popping through, but I keep wondering since she continues to chew on anything and everything. Honestly, everything. Last week I went to wake her up from her nap and found her chewing on the wooden slots of her crib. So either she's working on some molars, or Keila now thinks she's a woodchuck.
 3. Well, Keila still isn't sleeping through the night, but I'm dealing with her once-a-night wake-ups ok so far. The little stinker did sleep completely through the night once about 2 weeks ago, just to show me that she can....and then she hasn't bothered to do it since!
 4. Keila's gotten faster and faster lately, and she loves to run all over the house. We got a little safety leash for her to use when we go on walks, just because I don't even want to think about her darting out into the road. So yes, I'm that mom, the one with my kid on a leash. I think the PC term is 'harness and reins' but let's be honest: it's a leash. Keila quite likes it however, and even gets excited when I get it out, since it means time to go outside. Then again, my mom's dogs also get really excited when they see their leashes, too!
 5. New favorite foods include whole plums, and Keila would happily munch on big pieces of peeled apple too, if I wasn't worried she'd choke on them. When do babies start eating chunks of apple, anyway? Broccoli has also been a big hit lately, as have pasta noodles. Use of her spoon is getting better, especially if it involves eating something like sticky rice that doesn't fall off before the spoon hits her mouth.
 6. New actions. Basically, what doesn't she do! 2 days ago, Keila turned on not only the tv but also the DVD player (this after I told her she didn't need to watch her favorite Japanese kids' animation video, An Pan Man). I'm not really big on her watching tv, but when she is allowed to watch this particular video, she stamps her feet and waves her hands along with the characters on the screen. Imitating my actions are also a lot of fun for her--she'll mime washing her hands when she sees me wash mine, and she also wants to help vacuum, among other things. Keila has discovered that I did a poor job with the child safety locks on one of the kitchen cabinets, so whenever I'm prepping lunch or dinner, she gets into that cabinet and pulls out items to 'help' me cook. Finally, Keila loves to give hugs and kisses, sweet baby!
 7. Not sure of Keila's weight or height this month, but hopefully I can measure her some time soon. Until next month, you can enjoy a few pictures from today's outing. We went to a little petting zoo/farm at Cob House Fisheries, a fishery just outside Worcester city limits. Keila had a great time watching Daddy feed all the animals!







                                    Chasing ducks!
  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment