Saturday, December 3, 2011

Worcester Victorian Christmas Fayre

    We went downtown yesterday with a friend to hit up the Worcester Victorian Christmas Fayre. I wish I could think of a good way to describe the experience....as another friend said 'It's worth going to see...once'. For those of you who've ever gone to a festival in suburban/small-town American or a local festival in Japan, you get the idea. Only I'd have to say that the festivals in Japan are a bit more fun than Western festivals, overall.
  What we saw was basically a lot of street stalls featuring various goods, along with a few random entertainers wandering around. To be fair (fayre, hah hah) there was probably a bit more going on this weekend as opposed to yesterday, but we really didn't want to bother with a large Saturday/Sunday crowd.
  The festival covered a smaller area than I'd been expecting, and there weren't nearly as many food stalls as at festivals in Japan. I saw some vendors selling churros, mince pies and mulled wine, fudge, and there was also the stand-out Caroline's Cakes stall, selling her lovely-looking cupcakes. I didn't get to taste one of these beauties but did end up buying one for a friend. I'm assuming they taste as good as they look! If you want to know more about her products, here's her web address: www.carolinescakesworcester.co.uk
  I did also find some nice woolly mittens for Keila, seeing as she does her best to lose every pair I put on her. For only 5 quid, they were a pretty good deal. Plus they have a security cord that she hopefully won't be able to tear off. Hopefully.
  Overall, it was nice to have a walk around and see the sights, but I don't know that we'll make a special trip downtown for it next year. I'm told that the Birmingham Fayre is much more fun, so if we get the chance we may visit that one later this month.

                                             This guy was playing a pipe and a drum at the same time. Which I didn't notice at first because I was too busy looking at his elf outfit.

                                           One of the festival streets


                                   Woolly mittens for 3 little kittens (Keila loves that nursery rhyme)


                                       Beautiful cupcakes sold by Caroline's Cakes

                                                     Men on stilts

                                   The 'Victorian' carousel...which pretty much seemed like a regular circus carousel to me

No comments:

Post a Comment